This sample essay shows how citations appear in an essay and what a reference list looks like.
1. Remove any formatting you might have put in - no tabs, no extra spaces
2. Make sure all entries are left aligned
3. Select whole list of references
4. To create hanging indent on Windows PC = CTRL + T
5. To create hanging indent on Mac = Command + T
1. Highlight and select all your reference list entries
2. In the toolbar at the top of your word document click on the A-Z icon
3. You may need to add the extra line spaces in again
The American Psychological Association's APA website has comprehensive styles guidelines by topic and an informative blog: https://apastyle.apa.org/
You can also consult the print edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association available via Library Search .
Your lecturer has requested that you reference images provided within PowerPoint for the Infographics/Poster assignment. Please note that this is a special requirement - usually images that are part of a program like PowerPoint, Word or Canva do not need to be referenced.
Use the following format:
Reference: [Image description]. (year). PowerPoint Stock Image.
Example: [Blood pressure cuff]. (n.d.). PowerPoint Stock Image.
In-text: ("Image description", year)
Example: ("Blood pressure cuff", n.d.)