If you are using documents authored by an organisation or government department then you will need to format the author field in a different way. By adding a comma after the author EndNote will create your reference as it is written instead of moving the last word or Surname to the front.
ie: Charles Darwin University,
If the author has a comma within the title use a double comma to ensure the citation is added correctly.
ie: Department of Environment,, Northern Territory Government
Setting up EndNote to use Open URL
1. From the Edit menu select Preferences.
2. Choose Find full text.
3. If you use the PubMed database then check this box as well.
4. Paste the following link into the Open URL Path box:
Do not add anything into the 'Authenticate with' box.
5. Click on Apply and OK to save the changes
It is a good practice to back up your library whenever you make changes. There are two ways of backing up your library:
1. To use the Save a Copy command to create an exact copy of your library. Here are the steps:
The new library does not open, it is simply saved to disk, where you can then open it with EndNote. EndNote leaves your original library open as it was before the command was chosen. Note: The Save a Copy command creates a [library name].ENL file as well as a [library name].DATA folder for the new library, and copies all necessary files and figures to it.
2. To use the Compressed Library command to save a copy of your library and .data folder together in a compressed file (.enlx) which can be easily restored later by opening it in EndNote. Here are the steps:
To make it easier to read and annotate a pdf:
1. EndNote does not replace the reference style manual. The style in EndNote should be setup to follow the required conventions, but you will still need the manual to ensure there isn't information missing.
2. Check your results everytime you import citations. This is especially important when working with sources such as Google Scholar that may have inconsistent data.
3. Use one EndNote library only...yes that's right. It will make your life easier in the long run if you stick to using just one Library.
4. Always use the 'Edit and Manage Citation' function in Word. You risk corrupting your document if you manually delete references in your Word document.
5. Footnote styles-your word processor controls the numbering and placement of the footnote and EndNote controls the formatting. You will need to insert the footnote first using your word processor, then insert the EndNote citation into that footnote.
6. EndNote provides a number of ways to import references.
Importing PDF files or folders
Capture button can be added to a browser (Firefox or Chrome). This allows you to import webpage information directly into EndNote.
8. The sync and share features in EndNote allow you to save a backup copy of your LIbrary to EndNote Web and then share it with other researchers.
9. Get to know the EndNote experts at CDU and stay up to date with new features as they are released.
10. Back up your EndNote Library. Save a copy to an external drive and keep it somewhere safe. The version you sync to EndNote Web is a great option but rebuilding the Library from this copy will not completely duplicate the original