This sample essay shows how citations appear in an essay and what a reference list looks like.
The American Psychological Association's APA website has comprehensive styles guidelines by topic and an informative blog: https://apastyle.apa.org/
You can also consult the print edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association available via Library Search .
1. Remove any formatting you might have put in - no tabs, no extra spaces
2. Make sure all entries are left aligned
3. Select whole list of references
4. To create hanging indent on Windows PC = CTRL + T
5. To create hanging indent on Mac = Command + T
1. Highlight and select all your reference list entries
2. In the toolbar at the top of your word document click on the A-Z icon
3. You may need to add the extra line spaces in again
Watch this video to see the key changes in APA style.
Or have a look at the table below outlining the differences between the 6th and 7th APA style.