Research Data Australia is a discovery service designed to provide rich connections between data, projects, researchers and institutions, and promote visibility of Australian research data collections in search engines. RDA is the flagship service of the Australian National Data Service (ANDS).
ANDS is partnering with research institutions and data producing agencies to bring about four transformations to data - unmanaged to managed, disconnected to connected, invisible to findable and single use to reusable - that will enable Australia's research data to become a national strategic resource to support better, more efficient and defensible research, and improved policy input.
Research Data Australia is searchable by collection, parties that create and maintain the data, by the institution that holds the data, by activities and services provided.
If you have datasets that you would like to have included in RDA see the 'showcasing your data' tab of this guide for further information.
Databib - Databib is a tool to help you identify and locate online repositories of research data. It is a worldwide database, with input from Australia. Repositories are indexed alphabetically and by subject area.
Open Access Directory - the Open Access Directory is a compendium of lists about open access to science and scholarship, maintained by the open access community.
OpenDOAR - Directory of Open Access Repositories - the OpenDOAR service maintains a comprehensive and authoritative list of institutional and subject-based open access repositories. While many of the repositories listed are publication based, data respositories are also included.
re3data.org - the goal of re3data.og is to create a global registry of research data repositories from different academic disciplines and to promote a culture of sharing, increased access and better visibility of research data.
Below is a sample list of displine-based data repositories that are available. You may be able to deposit your datasets in them.
• AODN - Australian Ocean Data Network - AODN Data Portal is a single access point for marine data published by Australian Commonwealth Agencies and by a large number of other data contributors.
• ATLAS of LIVING AUSTRALIA - the Atlas of Living Australia contains information on all the known species in Australia aggregated from a wide range of data providers: museums, herbaria, community groups, government departments, individuals and universities.
• AusStage - a dataset for researching live performance in Australia.
• Australian Data Archive - a national service for the collection and preservation of digital research data to be made available for secondary analysis by researchers. The ADA is comprised of seven sub-archives: Social Science, Historical, Indigenous, Longitudinal, Qualitative, Crime and Justice, and International.
• CSIRO Data Access Portal - a repository of data published by the CSIRO across a range of disciplines to facilitate sharing and reuse of the data.
• Dryad - an international repository of data underlying scientific and medical publications.
• GEO – Gene expression obmnibus - a public repository of microarray, next-generation sequencing, and other forms of high-throughput functional genomic data submitted by the scientific community.
• PANGAEA – a data publisher for earth and environmental sciences.
• PARADISEC - a Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures.
• Petroleum Data Repository - housed by Geoscience Australia, this is one of the world's largest collections of petroleum data.
• UK Data Archive - the largest collection of social sciences and humanities digital research data in the UK.